We’re currently accepting submissions for the contest until 6 p.m. on Friday, April 16, 2016. Artists must use at least 50% recycled materials, and submissions should be an fit one of the five categories. The five categories that will be judged are:
- Traditional: A ‘classic’ book with readable text and turn-able pages.
- Art Book: Looks like or represents a book.
- Decorative Items: The book has been used as the medium; not necessarily readable. It may be carved, painted, or altered in some way.
- Wearable Art: Accessories
- Wearable Art: Clothing
An application form and a $20 registration fee is required for all submissions. Artists must be at least 18 years of age.
Official Rules and Submission Form for WNBA-NOLA’s
“The Art of the Book: A Repurposed Literary Challenge”
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Art of the Book: A Repurposed Literary Challenge (“ART OF THE BOOK”) is only open to Artists who are at least 18 years of age at the time of submitting an Entry.
2. ARTISTS: An art entry (“Entry”) to ART OF THE BOOK may be made by a solo artist or by a group of collaborative artists. The term “Artist” means a solo artist and each collaborative artist relating to an Entry.
3. ARTIST ENTRY AND ENTRY FEE: To enter ART OF THE BOOK, the Artist(s) must (a) agree to these Rules and (b) pay a one-time non-refundable submission fee of twenty dollars ($20.00) for each Entry payable to the Women’s National Book Association of New Orleans (“WNBA-NOLA”) and (c) deliver the submission to the IDIYA location by 6pm Friday, April 16, 2016. All submission forms must be made with proper payment by 6 p.m. on April 16, 2016.
4. RULES: The following rules apply to all Entries to the ART OF THE BOOK:
(a) ART OF THE BOOK will take place on Saturday, April 16, 2016 from 7 to 9 pm at IDIYA, 2723 S. Broad St., New Orleans, Louisiana.
(b) All submissions must be present for judging by 6 p.m. on April 16, 2016.
(c) Each Entry should use at least 50% recycled materials and be an artistic representation of a book in one of the following five categories:
- Traditional: A ‘classic’ book with readable text and turn-able pages;
- Art Book: Looks like or represents a book;
- Decorative Items: The book has been used as the medium–not necessarily readable. It may be carved, painted, or altered in some way;
- Wearable Art: accessories;
- Wearable Art: clothing.
(d) Each submission will be judged by a jury selected by the WNBA-NOLA. Awards include a prize packet valued at over $250 dollars, media coverage, and professional photographs for the artist’s portfolio.
(e) All submissions will be auctioned to support the projects of the WNBA-NOLA chapter including literacy initiatives, author discussions, and educational lectures and presentations for writers and those interested in the publishing industry. To facilitate this charitable auction, each Artist hereby relinquishes ownership of the Entry, and assigns all copyrights in the Entry, to WNBA-NOLA. Artist acknowledges and agrees that WNBA-NOLA intents to award the Entry to the highest auction bidder at the ART OF THE BOOK to raise money for its projects. The winning bid on each submission will be split 50/50 with the submitting artist receiving one -half of the amount.
(f) Only original Entries are eligible for submission. An Entry that, in the sole discretion of WNBA-NOLA, may infringe on third party rights will be disqualified.
(g) Artist(s) grant(s) to WNBA-NOLA the right to use images of the Entry and information about the Artist(s) for the WNBA-NOLA website, Facebook® page, press releases, promotional materials, display and exhibition. To the extent practicable, WNBA-NOLA will acknowledge the Artist in all such uses.
(h) WNBA-NOLA bears no liability to the Artist or relating to the Entry.
5. ADDITIONAL RULES: An Entry must not infringe upon third party rights. The Artist is responsible for ensuring that an Entry does not infringe upon, violate, or misappropriate any intellectual property or other proprietary rights of any third party. Each Artist shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless WNBA-NOLA and its directors and officers, from and against any and all liability, claims, suits, actions, losses, and expenses, including costs and attorney’s fees relating to or arising out of any claim or demand of any kind or nature based upon or arising out of the Entry, including any claim of infringement.